Sunday, June 20, 2010

MFXC, a Seagal non-race


If you weren't there, then shame on you! All you had to do was follow a few basic rules and show up for the fun. I ended up mailing my post card to register for the free non-race from Washington D.C. As much of my life has been this year, I just didn't have time before our vacation to even think about it. Soon we were getting secret updates and yes, there were custom shirts to be had.

The day finally came. The feeling was much like the days before x-mas when you were a kid, couldn't sleep, couldn't think about much else. I traveled down with Karen and Todd Holtmann on a hot and finally rain free day.

The course was a touch of Council Bluff, the Tellock connector, a short stint on the South Trace section of the Ozark Trail, most of the Middlefork section of the OT, about 10 miles of gravel and finished off with a couple miles back up Middlefork to end in a different place than you started. It started off with a short run and then directly into singletrack. I trotted and went in behind about 10 other riders of the 30+ riders there that day. Flats were not unheard of, bonking was prominent and man was it hot!

All was going well, I had worked my way up to 3rd place but the heat was taking it's toll. One rider, a more disciplined rider, took advantage of my poor heat management skillz and passed me on the one short asphalt section. That rider was Jeff Yielding. He proceeded to put almost 6 minutes into me in the last 40 minutes. If the race had been 10 minutes longer, Larry Koester would have had me too. I was done. I had a cold PBR and relaxed for a few before riding back to get the car. I still felt really bad for quite a while, that is until I had two moar PBRs. Matt James tore it up for the overall win. Dan Fuhrmann claimed second on a single speed.

Hats off to Team Seagal. Other than a bunch of fun for us they gained nothing from putting on this event. Jim Davis, Mason Storm and many others did lots of work to the trails. THANK YOU!

3 comments:

Gino said...

So I never heard how long the PBR stayed in the rain guage?

I still have your tires. Been in the trunk of my car since a failed attempt to drop them off at Ghisallo (closed at 5?!) and your no show at LV yesterday. What, you couldn't race 150 miles in the same weekend combined with 15 hours of driving?

Mitch the Masher said...

I dumped a little when removing a stick from my derailleur. Dumped most of the rest while trying to stretch my neck/shoulders. Smelled like the floor of a good bar for the remainder of the ride.

Good, the tires will be good and soft!

We got home at 5:30am Sunday morning. I really thought about heading out to LV.......

You gonna make it to our race?

Jeff Yielding said...

I'm in shock you can even remember that far back :)