Monday, November 17, 2008


Ahh, here it is! I've said all along that I was happy on a hardtail and that full suspension wasn't necessary with big wheels, but now look at me. I thought it would be cool to do my winter riding on a squishy bike and maybe prove myself wrong. Niner does an excellent job with the details on the frame, now it's time to see how it rides.
The design is a VPP(Virtual Pivot Point) in which the rear end swings as if attached to a pivot located out in front of the cranks. By changing the length and arc of the linkage plates they can control the path of the rear axle throughout the travel. This is where the CVA(Constantly Varying Arc) comes from. In the first part of the travel the rear wheel actually travels back, most of this travel should be taken up by sag if set up properly. From that point on the wheel follows a more upward path. This translates to a very active suspension that braking and drivetrain forces have little affect on.


2 comments:

Mason Storm said...

What do you think of the manitou so far? I love the look of that fork, but have had bad luck in the past with their forks. Bike looks SICK!

Mitch the Masher said...

I love the way the fork rides! The lock out is truely incremental, unlike the Rock Shox. The only issue I'm having is a two to three week air leak. I have a feeling if I did any maintanence this would fix itself. Thanks!