Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Runny Rhetts

Once again, perfect conditions the day before the race and downpours the morning of. It rained a little on us while seeing the trail for the first time on our practice lap and then just a sprinkle during the race. It was a sloppy and slippery start but after two laps the conditions improved. Unfortunately, the damage to the drivetrain had already been done. The first two laps also required much more strength to keep the bike upright and moving forward. Once the trail dried up I lacked the power I wish I had on tap and my chain sounded a little sickly. Now I know why they used grass mixed in with mud to build houses back in the day, that stuff sticks and was stuck in my derailleurs.

All in all the trail surface wasn't that bad. Rhetts Run is a short but demanding course. Lots of trail crammed into a small area. Not to put a cloud over this event, but due to the small loops that this system has which means the trail must come and go only divided by a piece of ribbon, there was some short cutting going on. Most people come out to challenge themselves but some will do whatever it takes to advance. Usually the winners clearly and decisively win and it's further back that the funny stuff can happen. I have no fingers to point, but watched lots of people and heard of other people witnessing the same lameness. All I have to say is that I will outride these folks on a course like Council Bluff where it proves more difficult to cheat. My buddies Chad Brixey and Dwayne both double flatted and chose to walk every inch of the course instead of DNFing. They also noticed some odd time changes going on. After a while it pissed me off and I yelled at a couple of riders.

Past that, this was one of the most fun races I've done in a while. Big field, lots of carnage, rocks, roots and PBR after. I started about mid pack. Slowly picking my way through riders, I had my one unplanned dismount midway through my first lap. No one close enough to see it, I feel I must recap. I rounded a slightly down hill left turn into a small dip/creek and was coerced to one side of the trail by a wet root. I tried to correct and over did it. Before I knew it I was on the downhill side of the trail trying my best to stop while plowing over some poor saplings. I came to rest after bumping into the trunk of a small tree only to find out that there was nothing to put my downhill foot on and toppled over like I was still clipped in to my pedals. I was laughing as I got up and only got passed by one rider. First chance, I was back by him. I figured out half way through my 2nd lap that I had hit the stop button on my Garmin when I crashed so I lost about 3/4 of a lap.

In a while I came by Dwayne fixing a flat. Wouldn't be long before he would blow back by me. Turns out that would not be the case as he had a second flat and had to walk. In a lap or so I caught Nate Means who I chose to ride behind for a while and pick up some sick lines, thanks dude! 3rd place was right ahead of us and soon he and I traded places. We swapped spots a few more times. The last time he came by me I thought that was it, he was flying. It lasted about 30 seconds and I think he blew. I went by him never to see him again. I went into my 6th lap still in 3rd and was caught and passed by a guy on a single speed racing marathon class who was absolutely flying. Pretty impressive to see someone come on that strong that far along in the race. I had no answer. I continued to rail what I could rail and poke my way up the climbs to finish 4th.

While it was cool to get cheered on by Chad and Dwayne each time I passed them, it was a bummer that they nor myself had any idea that you could change out parts on your bike back at the "pit" area. We all thought racers were self sufficient, meaning you use what you carry. Pretty sure those guys would have picked up a spare tube and continued to race had they known the rules. Now we know! Jason Stiger tore it up for the win, nice job! Paul Krewet made a guest appearance and announced official retirement, maybe. Jay Strothman rode a strong race, dude flies on a mtb, flies on a road bike. Greg Ott got another top 10 finish. And Todd Hecht made his debut into marathon racing, don't give up.

No comments: