Monday, August 31, 2009

Cape

This course was not epic, it was not super rocky, it didn't have a ton of climbing, it was just 100% ridable fun.

Klaus Park, a new venue was a welcome change. While last year's race was still much fun this easily out did it. Nearly 100% shaded, a 3.3 mile loop of fast, narrow, twisty single track made for a tough race day. Brad Brown, Cape local, super racer was there and I knew would set the pace. Matt Ochs, also from Cape was looking fast and fit. Not a huge field but not an easy field either. I came down with Greg Ott, Jeremy Bock and Dave D'Alessio, all Marathoners. We set up a sweet spot to pick up bottles as we had no support and soon we were racing.

Brad led us out Matt in second, me, then Jeremy. Brad soon had a small gap. Matt and I stuck together for 3 and a half laps until I felt like upping the pace and passed. Within a minute I felt my rear tire getting soft. I stopped and could see no leak so I hit it with a blast of CO2. I could hear it leaking but couldn't get it to stop. I took off with hopes of making it back to our pit to get another wheel. I was flat with 200 meters to go. A not so quick wheel change and a fresh bottle and I was rolling again. Jeremy had burped his tire flat near the end of the 3rd lap and had to re-inflate it but came by me while I was fixing mine. No one else got by me.


Jeremy and I rode together for laps 5,6,and 7. On lap 8 I kicked it up a notch hoping to chase Matt down. 8 happened to be the lap Matt cracked on. He was riding such a good race. I passed him and could tell he was done. I only saw Brad on the freakishly winding sections that would play mind tricks on you. I started to watch my timer when I would see him and quickly figured out that he was 2-3 minutes ahead of me. Going into lap 11 I figured it would be my last, so I mentally "backed off". About half way through that lap I decided to go until I couldn't go. I pushed and pushed and soon started to wonder if I could make it out on a 12th lap. I made it with only 7 seconds remaining. Could have stopped and wouldn't have changed things, but what if Brad flatted or just fell apart? So I took off, no new bottle, just what I had. It soon became apparent that I wasn't catching Brad, but I was OK with that.

Brad had no mechanical issues that I know of. He just rode a clean race. Jeremy came in not far behind me on lap 11 for third place. John Peiffer got 4th in his first Marathon race, Nice! Greg wasn't feelin it and was lounging when I came through on one of my laps. John must have paid the photographer to take pics only of him!



























Dang it! let me get around this tree first!

Christine's gonna get you!

This is my good side! My legs are cramping...must get the shot.

Don't you love my shorts?

No comments: