Monday, September 7, 2009

Binder Lake

Great competition, great conditions(2nd lap on), great temps, great people. With all the rain the day before it was iffy as to what the race day would bring. We set up for our 2nd Binder Lake 6hr with the threat of rain looming ALL around us. It did end up raining a bit before the race, but no worse for the wear. I thought about actually trying to run at the start to get a better position, not possible. I still had to pass a ton of riders on the first lap.

All was going well, I was keeping Dan Miller and Mike Best in sight for the first 5 laps. It was on lap 6 that I met my fate. A T-shaped puncture right in the center of the tread of my rear tire. It sealed up once I let the sealant pool over the hole. I thought I was in luck and whipped out my inflator and hit it with a blast of CO2, out came all my sealant like a garden hose. Now it was time to buckle down and fix it. All told the attempt to re-inflate, the repair and the cramps that came after I remounted the bike, I lost over 13 minutes. Doug Davis, Zdenek and Eric Schuck all got by me in that order. I quickly caught Eric and finished the lap with him. I had to stop and get another tube, CO2 and bottle-Eric didn't stop. I caught and passed him 2/3 of the way through lap 8 but never saw Zdenek or DD. Other than fighting cramps the race went fine after the flat. I missed going out on a 10th lap by 2:18, 10 was my goal but I'll have to wait for next year.

Jeff Winkler, what do I say? He was within 2:37 of the Cameron Chambers and Travis Donn duo team and only 13:34 behind the duo team of Chris Ploch and Tom Albert, the overall winners! Keep in mind that he was less than half a lap behind after 6+ hours, riding by himself! Dan Miller of Columbia in 2nd, was smokin' with 10 laps in 6:18:09, beating last years winning time. Mike Best in 3rd also beat last year winning time after a sub-9 hour ride at the Leadville 100, you've got to see his gold belt buckle! DD taking 4th only 1:09 behind last years winning time. Jeff lapped Zdenek in 5th place! I came in 6th, which would have netted me 3rd last year only 56 seconds behind last years 2nd place. Needless to say this year was faster with a slightly slower trail surface, albiet much cooler temperatures. Christian Stitz and Todd Holtmann rode a very impressive race finishing 9 laps. Karen Holtmann won the solo women's race. Massive efforts were expended by all. The only thing I missed was one of those flaming hot pork steaks!

Results 2008

Results 2009

*EDIT* After a closer look at the results, I was in 4th before I flatted, moved back to 9th and then made my way back to 6th. So 5 riders made it by while I was changing my flat and I made it back by 3.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Word. Great updates! Bummer about the flat.

Dan said...

I had almost the same flat situation our on a fun ride a week ago: puncture-->sealed-->add CO2-->white mess all over. Bunner yours happened in the race!

Lanterne Rouge said...

Nice! I was looking for ya near then end, as last year you were really gaining on me.