Friday, July 17, 2009

Sacked

Didn't plan on doing this one when I was plotting the upcoming race season. 3+ hour drive and a course that I didn't care for too much last time I rode it. I remember it being a little over 3 miles and rough as hell. Not the fun kind of rough, just rough. A series of events changed my mind and Sac River was calling to me.

Greg, Dwayne and I went down early Sunday morning encountering some rain on the way down, but nothing too bad. It had clearly rained there sometime that morning but only made the rocks and roots a little slick. We registered and suited up for a pre-race lap. I could immediately tell that this was a much improved version of what I had last ridden in 1997ish. It had everything. 6.3 miles of fast and smooth, twisty and rooty, and loaded with rock ledges to go up and down. I was very happy with my choice to race the Jet 9, my short travel, 29" wheeled full suspension bike.

I started out at a slightly below redline pace and sat in around 6th place going into the woods. Within 2 miles I was in second place with Greg on my heals until he flatted. I never saw anyone again, including Dwayne. Didn't expect to. I had a pucture in my front tire on the second lap and my sealant took care of it for me. Didn't lose that much pressure so I pushed on. I finally got passed on my 4th lap by the 3 fastest experts and eventually a 4th followed by the two "old guy" experts and Gino, one fast single speeder on my 5th lap. Turns out Dwayne wasn't too far ahead until the last lap. I kept him to a sub 7 minute lead through the first four but he had over 14 minutes after the 5th lap. He put in a He-Man effort on the last lap chasing an expert while I started to run out of gas. I fully expected him to lap me, or at least make it out for a 6th lap. He didn't miss it by much.

Bike worked well. I felt pretty good. I haven't been feeling my best lately and have been trying to figure out why. I used this race as a gauge to see where I am in my training. I was scared to death that I had over-trained. This is often the end of a season and is very hard to recover from. I was worried because Dwayne and I are heading out next week to race a 24hr in Wisconsin. I rode well last Tuesday night at Lost Valley and completed my first century this year today so I think all is well.

Best part is that I still have the series lead by two points, Bou-ya! Here is a link to my race on the new Garmin Connect.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great report, your loyal readers thank you! Awesome result.

As to over-training, I bet your legs felt pretty fresh after your ride with the Boat Anchor. I am available for unimaginably slow rides most evenings and weekends. :)